Brain fog. Brain fog. Brain fog.
It's my third week on painkillers and I am trying my best to beat the sluggishness that comes with it by trying to write something. Not to mention, to feel some sense of freedom of expression without the worries of needing to get it through ChatGPT for a "cleaner" output that is more digestible, less "messy". I'll take messy anytime, thank you very much.
This blog post title is inspired by this poem section by Anis Mojgani:
and I dream too much and I don't write enough,
and I’m trying to find God everywhere.
Allah says in Ayat 16 of Surah Al-Qaf:
وَلَقَدْ خَلَقْنَا ٱلْإِنسَـٰنَ وَنَعْلَمُ مَا تُوَسْوِسُ بِهِۦ نَفْسُهُۥ ۖ وَنَحْنُ أَقْرَبُ إِلَيْهِ مِنْ حَبْلِ ٱلْوَرِيدِ
Indeed, ˹it is˺ We ˹Who˺ created humankind and ˹fully˺ know what their souls whisper to them, and We are closer to them than ˹their˺ jugular vein.
And narrated Abu Huraira:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Allah says: 'I am just as My slave thinks I am, (i.e. I am able to do for him what he thinks I can do for him) and I am with him if He remembers Me. If he remembers Me in himself, I too, remember him in Myself; and if he remembers Me in a group of people, I remember him in a group that is better than they; and if he comes one span nearer to Me, I go one cubit nearer to him; and if he comes one cubit nearer to Me, I go a distance of two outstretched arms nearer to him; and if he comes to Me walking, I go to him running.' "
And I think about this quote often:
If God feels distant, who moved?
Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this post. I signed up for a one-week Islamic programme happening in August, and the application required some long answers. Felt like putting them here, edited for this blog post:
Why are you interested in joining WISE Summer School?* (no less than 50 words)
It is difficult to explain the interest without mentioning Ayaat 56 of Surah Al-Qasas in the Quran, which states, “...it is Allah who guides whoever He wills.” I can rationalise whatever intentions I have in my heart, but verily, these intentions would not have materialised in the first place without Allah first leading me to good people, knowledge, and experiences, especially in the past year. How do I do justice to describing the experience of spontaneously walking into a programme under a youth organisation in December last year, after coming across an advertisement (on LinkedIn, out of all places!) by a stranger-turned-friend (whose sister's name happens to be Sharifah Durrah.. what are the odds of meeting someone like this at a particular time and location?), to being introduced to various other organisations, practices, and knowledge over the past six months? How do I explain the sudden feelings of self-awareness of how lacking I am in terms of knowledge that brings me closer to Allah, and the utmost desire and thirst of wanting to get closer to God, after dedicating so much time to the pursuit of worldly matters and causes? There is only so much I can comprehend through self-reading of books by Al-Ghazali, including the four volumes of Ihya’ Ulumuddin that I finished reading within two months, to books by great scholars such as As-Syafie’s Risalah, Ibn Khaldun’s Muqaddimah, and books on Sufism by the likes of Martin Lings and Syed Muhammad Naquib Al-Attas, that, as someone like me without formal Islamic training, comes to a point of worrying if I am going in the right direction, and that I need to find a teacher, or teachers. Having gone to other related programmes organised by related people of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)'s Raja Zarith Sofiah - Center for Advanced Islamic Studies (RZS-CASIS), such as Felo Muda and biweekly sharings by Dr Khalif Muammar at Balai Jawi on Kitab Al-Arbain Fi Usul Ad-Din, there is the feeling of need (or FOMO!) in getting to know more and being around learned people, fellow seekers of knowledge, and overall people who dedicate their lives in the journey of servitude to God through knowledge. These are the reasons why I am interested in joining WISE Summer School.


No comments:
Post a Comment