Sunday, December 8, 2019

My grandmother passed away yesterday, just over a year and a half after my uncle did who lived in the same house. It was so sudden, I literally just went back to my house a few hours before her last breath after I stayed the night there.

It was my first time to mandikan and mengkafankan jenazah (bathing and shrouding the body), and I did it wearing shirt and jeans because I was getting ready to meet up with my friends before the news. I was very, very lucky and privileged to be able to be one of the few who got to berkhidmat for my grandmother for the last time. I teared up a bit as my mother washed her face, as I wondered in the future if I will do the same to her when she dies, if by Allah's will I get to be there.

The lady who lead the process who was a family friend said, "Tak apa, penat dah dia sakit." Everything went smoothly, up to the bringing her back to the kampung and burying her. Even the nurses/paramedics who helped out said that she must have helped a lot of people in her life, because of how smoothly and how everyone is helping her. Some of our family members didn't get to say goodbye to her before she was buried but it was ok, because our family has this principle that "jangan bagi orang yang mati tunggu orang yang masih hidup (don't let the dead be the ones who havd to wait for the living)".

We had a sharing session last night, us in kampung. My aunty, the eldest of my grandmother's children (there are 9 siblings, my mum is the 5th one) mentioned how much of a selfless person she was. Even when she had dementia, all she ever cared about was if everyone was ok, if everyone had eaten, etc.

May Allah bless her soul and place her among the believers. Al-Fatihah to Fatimah Zaharah @ Rokiah binti Nasir.

No comments:

Post a Comment