Monday, June 13, 2011

Skulduggery Pleasant

Assalamualaikum and hello to readers out there. What's with the title? For those who knows what I'm talking about, congratulations to you! And for those who don't, you need to read more books...
Skulduggery Pleasant is a book I recently bought (yesterday, in fact) at Seremban. My older brother recommended it to me. My first impression of it was it looks cool. There was no other word. But then in the back cover, it said,"For ages 9 and above" and I was like wait, am I too old for this? So I flipped it open to the first page and there were comments from 11 and 12 year olds. I ignored that, as I have the thinking of a 10 year old maybe. Here's the cover:

Apparently, it doesn't look like the kind of books read by kids but as the saying goes, don't judge the book by it's cover.
I don't really know much about the story, I've only read 247 pages out of 380. From what I've read, it's about Stephanie Edgley, a 12 year old girl whose uncle Gordon Edgley recently deceased. During the reading of his will, a strange man was present wearing a tan overcoat, sunglasses, and scarf even though it was hot. So that's how they met. The strange man is Skulduggery Pleasant, a wise-cracking detective, powerful magician, sworn enemy of evil. Oh yes. And dead.
Honestly, most of the text above is from Wikipedia and the back cover of the book. I can't really write myself. The book is the first of Skulduggery Pleasant novels written by Derek Landy. I really like this book, because it gives me the same feeling of me reading Harry Potter and Darren Shan. It's a mixture between mystery, adventure, and comedy. One of the part that I think is the most funny yet is:
The tourists came back around the corner and Stephanie went to drag Skulduggery out of sight but it was too late-they had already seen him. A small American boy left his parents' side and walked right up to him. Skulduggery was frozen to the spot.
"Who's that meant to be?" the boy asked, frowning slightly.
Stephanie hesitated. Now the entire tour was looking at her, including the tour guide. "This is," Stephanie said, racking her brains for a likely-sounding explanation, "this is Sammy Skeleton, the world's worst detective."
Seriously, I can't help laughing at that part. They were in a wax celebrity museum at that time. Oh, I forgot to tell, at the inside of the cover, there's pictures of the main characters of this book, which is Stephanie Edgley, Skulduggery Pleasant, Ghastly Bespoke and Tanith Low. You may ask, why are their names so weird? Well that's because it's not their real name. In the book, names is the main topic actually. There's a lot about names and how it affects us in this book, which is quite interesting. Another thing I like about this book, there is no romantic parts in it at all. Seriously. And I now have a crush on Skulduggery even though he's a skeleton. You can't help smiling while reading about him. To Raisah, he's a bit like Magnus Bane I think, except that he's not you-know-what. He also drives a Bentley!
That's all, I think. To those who are interested please buy it or you can borrow it from me once I finished reading it (SA girls only).
Assalamualaikum and bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment